88 sentra camshaft gear free spining

Okay, I've had my '88 Sentra since new /w about 180K miles. It's been a great, trouble free car until now. I was driving @ about 20MPH when the engine just dies, so I thought it was a broke timing belt after hearing the engine when I tried to re-start.

Took the timing belt cover off, but the belt wasn't broke. Had someone crank the engine and noticed the timing belt wasn't moving. Striped teeth? Removed the belt and found the teeth around the gear nearest to the crank pulley at the bottom were striped. I can spin the lower gear by hand and it does not turn when the engine is engaged by the starter. Can't turn the bigger gear by hand that handle the valves.

What's the deal? Any ideas?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
res17ad0