CVH Cambelt change....

Hi all,

Gonna do a cambelt change on my girlfriends 1.6 CVH soon, the car has the CTX transmission.

My questions are......Is it ok to lock the engine by leaving the car in Park when I go to undo the crankshaft pulley??? And, should I replace the tensioner as a matter of course??

TIA.

Reply to
Sir Richard Richard

park does not lock the engine. undo the nut by jamming the ring gear, or put a long spanner on the nut and turn the engine on the starter. or use an air impact wrench. the tensioner is only replaced if noisy or damaged usually, but they are fairly cheap anyway.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Quite. The tensioner is cheap (£13 last one i needed) so either replace it matter of course, or very carefully check it. More important is the water pump. They tend to seize without notice, so personnally I replace them at every belt change.

Make sure you get the right belt and right tensioner- Ford changed them in about '89 for more / less teeth- you'll need the engine number when you go to the dealer.

Use an impact wrench to slacken the crank pullet nut, then reposition the engine to TDC if it has moved, then remove the pulley bolt by hand.

I often find getting the tension right on the CVH abit tricky so prefer to initially run the engine with cover off and watch the belt. If it whines then its too tight, if the dizzy bob weights rattle (unless its a DIS car) then the belt is too slack. If the belt flaps exessively its too slack.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.