89 240sx Engine Prob

For the past few weeks, my timing chain has been rattling all the time. It was really loud and annoying, making my car sound like it was diesel. I called the dealer yesterday to get a quote to get the timing chain replaced and all that fun stuff, but i didnt get ahold of anyone. So i go about my normal business, and decide to go to the mall to buy a DVD. Right when i get there and am pulling into my parkin spot, the car stalls. I figured this was the same issue as before with the bad idle, which cleared up with a simple wiggling of the wires for my MAFS comin off the intake. So i get out of the mall, start to head home, and it stalls again. Pull into a huge open spot in the parkin lot and I try messin with the wires, but it didnt do anything. SOB! I start the journey home, bout 15 miles just hoping i dont hit any red lights so it wouldnt stall. So on my way home from the mall, the rattle gets louder, and being only a mile away from home, I decide to go

40 mph on the highway to be safe. Less than a half mile to go, i hit a red light, and my car stalls out, and i look behind me and a HUGE cloud of white smoke is in my rear view. W$#%@#$%@! so i pull into the turn lane, hop out and start pushin. When it stalled, i didnt hear any noise or anything like that. I get it to the side of the road, and its still smokin and whatnot. Sat there for awhile, and when my dad came and got me, he decided i should try and turn it on. It would turn over, but the engine wouldnt stay on. so we call and get it towed to the dealer, where its at right now. Just waiting for them to call back, cuz they said they might look at it today.

What are the chances that my engine is completely shot? If the chain completely broke, would it have made a crapload of noise? And if it just jumped a tooth, what kind of damage could it have done?

Reply to
Nitrus

At any time that the timing chain was rattling, did you check your oil levels to see if your engine was low on oil? The car stalling could be due to a host of problems such as loose wires leading to the MAF AND Engine Coolant Temperature sensors, disconnected/cut/melted vacuum lines, loose or bad spark plug wires, defective distributor cap or rotor, etc, etc, etc. White smoke could be a gasket letting go, (when was the last time you checked your radiator fluid? Ever have the car overheat on you?), or a valve sticking on you, (more like blue-ish smoke coming out the tail pipe. You ever pull your spark plugs to see what color they are?

on how well, (or how poorly), you maintained the car, your engine may,(or may not), be shot. When a timing chain lets go on a KA24E engine like the one you have in your 240, you won't be able to start your car at all - the engine will not run period. As for jumping a tooth, it's possible. The timing chain guides on KA24E engines are known to break causing the rattling problem. The KA24E engines can take quite a beating though provided you do some basic maintenance on it such as changing the oil & filter on a regular basis. Most

240SX owners I know average about 150 to 200K miles on the engine before they start having major issues with the engine. If you plan on keeping your 240, you may want to consider joining the free 240sx Owners mailing list at:
can also post all your 240SX related questions to this mailing list &several knowledgeable 240SX owners will answer your question.Another place to look would be the
website - they have a FAQ pagethat can answer most of your questions Anyhow, hope the dealer tells you it's something minor....the 240sx you have is actually a pretty good rear wheel drive car. Imagine all the things you could do with it.
hope this helps...good luckID '95 240SX SE member...www.SoCal240SX.org

Nitrus wrote:

Reply to
REMOVETHISidlafie