Radiator installed?

Hi - I own a 1993 Altima - 90,000 miles. Its in excellent condition but I've had a lot of work done on it. I like the car - the accelertion is fabulous.

Two weeks ago, while driving on a street, I saw smoke rise behind my car. I drove the car off the road. There were no flashing indicator lights and the smoke was gone.

The car started stalling on me at every red light - started up again when I turned the key. I managed to get it to a Goodyear Company (Gemini) that does repairs.

They told me my radiator had cracked. They replaced the radiator, a new thermostatet, radiator cap, replaced antifreeze, and three radiator hoses, upper and lower, and by pass hose.

Even after a 10% discount of $69.92 because I was a past customer, my total bill, including tax of $37.77 - was $221.62 for parts, misc. shop supplies $39.73 and Labor at $368.00. - a total cost of $667.12

The car was ready a few hours later.

Everyone is telling me I was 'screwed' - I'd like the opinions of others on this because I'm a numbskull when it comes to cars.

thanks, Perila

Reply to
scribner

But at least you didn't have to get it towed, that saved you 100 or so

Reply to
Dave

Hi - and thanks - I had to laugh at yhour comment in your previous message. As far as towing I was in the middle of the city and AAA pays for the first five miles.

I'm hoping more people answer the first message I wrote since I'd like to accumulate them and go back to Goodyear and show them - and I'd like to hear what they have to say. I don't like being taken, as most of us don't, but its a good idea to let these people know - because I don't intend to be a customer of theirs any more. I'll probably also call Nissan directly and find out what the average cost is to have the kind of radiator repair I had done.

Reply to
scribner

You got hosed down big time

You could have taken it to the dealership and gotten it done for a little more than half of what you paid.

Chances are the t-stat did not need changing nor did the hoses.

and to think, most people think dealerships rip people off, hearing this kind of thing does my heart well.

remember

Cavet Emptor

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks for the information - You're right, I and a lot of others I know avoided dealership repair shops because we believed they overcharged - I know that you have helped change my mind and I'll be sure to let my other friends know.

I'm going to confront the Goodyear shop with all of this information - not that I believe they will return any of the ill-gotten money, but to let them know they've lost me as a customer - and those I referred to them.

Reply to
scribner

Keep in mind there's no definite answer. There's a crook in every category whether it's a dealer or chain place or independent. Being an informed person does help you sometimes but not everytime. But a lot of people will take advantage of you when you are in need of emergency repairs.

Reply to
Dave

Hi - Dave - you're right - but I am going ahead to confront them about overcharging me - plus I'll put in a complaint to the Goodyear headquarters - and the Better Business Bureau.

Reply to
scribner

Hi again - I confronted the Goodyear gemini repair shop and told them everyone has been telling me I was overcharge.d His answer "Call the local Nissan dealer and you'll see our prices are right in line with theirs."

Is this possible? I haven't called the dealer in our town just yet.

Reply to
scribner