brake lights always on

Hi I have a nissan sentra 97 model.

I have a issue with my rear (tail) brake lights only when i have turned on the headlights on. With the headlights off the brake lights get illuminated only when i step on the brakes. When i turn my headlights on the rear brake lights stay on even when i am not applying brakes. Moreover, i have also observed that with the headlights on when i step on the brakes the rear brake lights get brighter than when when i am not applying the brakes.

My security inspection is due in another 3 weeks and this problem shall surely fail the inspection. Can someone help me identify the possible causes of this problem. It seems it may be a simple cause that i might be able to correct without taking it to a workshop. I am suspecting it would not be a mechanical because the lights seem to be working fine when the headlights are off. the problem seems to be with the connection ONLY when the headlights are turned on.

Help please ....!!!

Thanks, Anki

Reply to
ankusume4u

What you're describing is 100% normal -- nothing to worry about!

Reply to
JM

LOL, that's how it's meant to be....jesus H.

Reply to
Taylor

Oh actually , i am talking about the thin strip of light which is between the right and left tail lights on the top of the trunk. i took the car for some regular checkups last month and the mechanic told me that its supposed to stay off until you step on the brakes.

any pointers???

Reply to
ankusume4u

You should have said it was the "Third Brake light" from the beginning. That sounds like a short in one of the taillights, possibly from water or corrosion. The taillight circuit current is arcing over to the brake light circuit. Take them off and inspect them.

Reply to
willshak