94 Nissan Sentra - help !

Hi All,

I have a 1994 Nissan Sentra, 1.6 liter engine. It runs great, when it starts. It has a tough time starting when there is any dampness or humidity in the air. This has just started recently, I have 150,000 miles on it, and don't want ot get rid of it yet. The only thing I've changed so far is the fuel filter. Since it is an intermittent problem, I don't want to bring it somewhere and have someone shotgun this problem for me, costing me $$ every time they guess and change a part.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, MEL

Reply to
melvin

The most obvious issue when you have damp starting problems is spark plug wires. Change the plugs and wires and see if it helps. (unless you don't have wires on that motor, then it's something else :-)

Reply to
Bob

Secondary ignition parts i.e. wires, cap and rotor, coils whatever this car uses need to be checked carefully or replaced if it's cheap like wires are.

Reply to
Steve T

melvin wrote in news:Xns951E8CF8644CFmurmanskcom@167.206.3.3:

Thanks Steve and Bob,

Thanks for your help, your suggestions make sense, but the mystery continues.

Yesterday, before I changed the spark plug wires, I was able to get the car started. It was a sunny dry day here in LI, NY, I took the day off from work, I opened the hood, and let it bake in the sun for about an hour. The car started, but the dash was all wacked out (gas gauge below E, brake warning light on, battery light on). I changed the spark plug cables, but still had all of the weird problems on the dash. I also noticed the windhsield wipers were very slow, lights were dim, etc.

I drove the car to work today, it started, gauges looked ok, but it was sluggish on the start. While driving home from work, EVERYTHING cut out, but the engine kept running (radio went dead, speedometer/gas gauge/temperature gauge all went to 0, idle went down to 400 rmp (tach was still working). No directionals, but AC still worked. About a block from home, it totally died. I had to get a jump, and limp home.

This is probably a understatement, but I think I have a serious electrical problem

Thanks, MEL

Reply to
melvin

Well we assuming this is a B13 GA16DE correct? All these items that are malfunactioning run on a similar wire set. Well the speedometor and temperature guage are read from the ECU. The gas guage how ever runs independant. Check and see if there is any difference with you headlight come on. Stangly enough some signals come over different line dep on lamp switch position. The fact that you had issues can sometimes confuse the ECU and not send readings. On the fuel guage I am assuming that I remember correct and that it splits one line going to the low fuel light... However I beleive there is a small digatal component in the dash that interprets the tank sensor voltage. I maybe wrong and this be detected and intepreted by the ECU. I would also check the grommet on the left hand side and that is a lot of where the electrical problem areas that you speak of get there feed. Also check in the bottom middle one too. These are most seseptable to fraying and decay. You AC, wiper fluide, power steerigng pump and non essentials as I recal run throught the right hand grommets.

Reply to
iruka_hoshi