95 altima transmission whine

My transmission seems to be working OK but it's started to whine. And the noise is getting louder. It's a 95 Altima with 145,000 miles. About 7,000 miles and 7 months ago, I had an oil seal replaced, which required taking the engine out to get to the problem. Before then, I never heard any transmission noise.

So, I have two basic questions:

  1. Would the mechanic have somehow damaged the transmission when he took out the engine to reach the leaking seal?

  1. How long is my transmission likely to last with this whine? Should I take it to a transmission shop now -- is there some inexpensive fix that could be done? Or does this mean that my transmission will need some major work, and I might as well drive it as long as I can before shelling out the money> Or is it time to ditch the car?

It boils down to this -- did someone mess up my car, or is this just a factor of wear and tear? And what should I do about it?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can give.

Reply to
travelphilic