'96 Nissan SX 5 spd. -Flywheel Problem-Help

Hi, my son has a '96 Nissan 200sx with 95xxx miles on it. He burnt the clutch up last year and I had it replaced. Recently, I had problems starting the car--it sounded like the starter ran but did not turn the engine over. Then it would not start at all. I replaced the starter, however it still would not start. I pull started it and got it to a shop and they said the flywheel ring was bad and would have to be replaced. Could anyone shed some light on what the job entails. I have pulled engines and swaped transmissions before some I not a novice, but I would like to hear from someone with experience on this procedure. Thanks very much.

paw

Reply to
PAW

Long, long time since I did this but IIRC you have to pull the engine, take off the flywheel, then heat the old ring up with a welding torch until it can be hammered off (or more likely just cut and cold chisel it off).

You heat the new ring up with the torch until it has expanded enough, then whack it onto the flywheel where it cools and clamps into place.

Again IIRC I took the flywheel to a machine shop where they took the old ring off and fitted a new one.

There may be newer and/or better ways to do this of course :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts