UK Nissan 1.6SE Manual timing belt problem

Hi,

I am trying to remove the head from my UK 1989/90 (G reg.) Nissan 1.6SE Manual hatch back.

I have the Haynes manual (udders and bulls come to mind).

My problem is that I cannot undo the bolt holding the bottom pulley on, and so can't take the cam belt off to allow me to take the head off.

Haynes says it 'can be difficult' so to put the car in gear, put the brake on, and then undo the bolt.

Yeah, right.

There is so much windup in the transmission parts that I can turn the torque wrench 1/3 of 360 degrees (all the space available inside the engine compartment)and all it does is wind up then wind back when I ease off.

If I take off the RHS front wheel to allow me more 'swing' on the socket wrench then the disc brake (no vacuum because no engine running) will not prevent the hub from turning.

So I took off the top part of the timing belt cover and locked the camshaft pulley in the hope that the timing belt would hold the crankshaft while I undid the bolt.

No joy, although I got way past 100ft/lbs torque trying to undo the bolt. The timing belt just jumps teeth.

There are slots in the bottom pulley, but I can't see anything on the bottom of the block which looks sturdy enough to jam something (e.g. large screwdriver) against if I put it through the slot.

So does anyone have a solution apart from making up some kind of special service tool to bolt a long bar to the bottom pulley?

Or a bar to bolt to the hub to stop the wheel turning? (Although I can see me lifting the car up on the bar instead of freeing off the bolt).

This job shouldn't be this hard - you have to change cam belts on a regular (well 'n' thousand miles) basis anyway.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Assuming it still runs (but given your experience with the belt and sprocket, it probably doesn't), the easiest way to do this is to take it to somebody with a serious air wrench and give them $10 to simply loosen the crank bolt for you. Re-snug it enough to get home with it, then take it apart at your leisure.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks, but as you guessed the car is not working fairly big time.

It is also not taxed, MOTd or insured as it has been off the road for nearly a year awaiting a time slot to work on it.

I suppose I could find someone with a portable compressor and air gun....

I think I am in for a day of finding long bits of steel and drilling holes for bolts.

I wonder if the last person who took it off just airgunned it back on again. :-(

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com,

Reply to
Shawn

No celeb is immune From my digital lampoon.

Reply to
GEO

Well, finally got it loose.

GEO - thanks for the suggestion about the starter motor.

I looked at this, but the 'manual' said that the starter motor was a b*sta*d to remove and might require the engine out.

I looked and didn't fancy this, although this is the method I have used before on other engines.

Made myself a Special Service Tool from some steel bar and a couple of

50mm long M10 bolts, and managed to lock the pulley against the drive shaft.

Picture of tool in place :-)

I used a long iron pipe on the end of the socket set bar to get a lot more leverage.

The book says the torque for this bolt should be between 95 and

100 ft/lbs but I reckon I was using at least twice that, perhaps 3 times before the when it came loose!

Of course, this is only Task #9 in the book. I now have to take the head off and have a look at what the problem is.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to