97 Pathfinder SE Ignition Problem

Over the last 3 months I have had three incidents where my 1997 Pathfinder SE wouldn't restart for a while. All three times I had driven at least 70 miles on Interstate highway. First two times I then stopped for gas and moved the car to go into the minimart/restrooms/etc. So there were 2 or 3 starts within a short time. Then suddenly and without any preceeding sign of trouble it just wouldn't start. The last time it happened I stopped the car to drop off my granddaughters and it wouldn't restart even on the first try.

The first time it happened I waited about 5 minutes and it started. The second time it went about an hour before it restarted. The third time it took about an hour and a half.

I know it's not the starter. There's no tell-tale click from the starter. I can hear the emissions pump start up so it's engaging. Not sure of te proper name for this device but if you're familiar with the Pathy it's located under the hood on the driver's side up top. Recycles some exhaust (I think) back to the fuel tank.

I believe the problem must be a faulty switch somewhere in the ignition system. My Pathy is manual transmission and has a factory alarm system. I've considered the following possibilities:

  • Clutch has to be depressed to start so it has a switch * Alarm system surely has a switch * The ignition switch

Last time this happened I was able to unplug the clutch switch and tried starting with the contacts both open and closed. (I don't have a shop manual so didn't have any way to know which way the switch is supposed to work) Didn't start either way.

So I'm pretty certain the problem isn't the clutch switch.

While the problem was occurring, I wasn't getting any power to the starter relay fuse. If you're familiar with the wiring system, this may narrow the possibilities.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing any other considerations besides the starter, clutch switch, alarm system switch, and ignition switch?

I called the service dept at the dealership where I bought the vehicle a month ago after the second event but got BS: " Duh... You'll have to bring it in the next time it's doing that."

That's when I mentioned that I would be looking for a dealer that repairs the cars they sell when I'm ready to buy my new X-Terra.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Stever

Reply to
Stephen D. Salmon