99 Altima - very hestitant start

Hi group,

I was looking at a 99 Altima today with 82,000 km at the dealer. When I started it, it ran rough for a second or two, and quit. I tried to get it going again, but had no luck after a few tries. The salesman gave it a try, and after probably 6 or 7 attempts, it finally caught, and ran fine from then on. Each time he tried, it seemed to be firing more and more often.

I pulled a plug wire while he was trying, and there was spark, although it did seem a bit weak.. I got a little jolt at one point, so maybe the wires are a bit tired out?

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any theories on what might cause this.. the car had been sitting for a few weeks apparently, but I wouldn't expect it to have that much trouble getting started.. could it be the wires are really shot and needed to get some juice through them to get working again? Or oil is leaking onto the plugs and fouling them? I didn't see any big plumes of blue smoke when it started so I can't see it being that. I didn't notice the CEL being lit.

Reply to
JM

could also be something as stupid as vpour lock in the fuel lines. It coulda flooded too, and just taken a while to clear out.

Reply to
disallow