99 maxima gle - noise from front right wheel

Hello all, I have a 99 maxima gle with little over 73K. Right after Midas replaced ball joints about a month ago, a noise started in the right front wheel. The best way to describe it is baseball cards in bicycle spokes if you can imagine that. Pitch corresponds with speed and intensifies in a right turn and gets quieter in left turns. I might be wrong about what side it's coming from and it may be totally unrelated to the ball joints. It was pretty faint at first but is getting louder very gradually. I'm not sure if someone who is not used to my car would even recognize it.

Thanks for any help! Nick L.

Reply to
N.H.L ---> KSU '11

on 4/1/2008 7:25 PM N.H.L ---> KSU '11 said the following:

Check for a bent brake back plate rubbing on the rotor.

Reply to
willshak

check the axles, sounds like you might have a problem with one of the CV joints

Reply to
NissTech

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
jj_jetski

Nick:

N.H.L ---> KSU '11 wrote:

My '97 Max also has that 'baseball card' sound. It occurs when the weather is warmer and is louder at speeds of more than 20mph.

The sound seems to come from the dash at the windshield glass location. At one point I thought that it could be the wiper blades, however, I changed them and the sound occurs with the wipers on or off. Not that.

The ventilating system ducting in the dash firewall area is on a straight line with the right front wheel. A coincidental relationship, possibly. The HVAC air intake system has valves that may be trimmed with some type of edging material that may be vibrating. The sound is in when driving, and is independent of the HVAC system working when the car is at a standstill. I suspect that the outside cowl vent air intake system may have an air valve that vibrates.

The sound is a nuisance. I wish that a diagram of the HVAC system were available somewhere. Could that be available at the Nissan parts desk?

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

Courtesy Nissan has an online parts catalog now. See if this is what you are looking for:

E Meyer

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll look into all of that as soon as I can get somewhere where I can get underneath it and get a good look at all that. I might take it back to Midas but I have a feeling they'll just take these suggestions and tell me everything's wrong. Anyway I'll report back soon.

Thanks!

Reply to
N.H.L ---> KSU '11

Great idea. I will read to find what is possible.

Thank you.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle