front wheel strange, loud sound

1996 Toyota Corolla. We have been getting this incredibly disturbing noise coming from what appears to be the left front area of the car. The only way I can describe it is "God awful," like all hell broke loose (sorry for the language). It only shows up after the engine is completely warmed up and has been running awhile. I may have to drive 10 miles on the highway before it starts.

So far, I have read about CV joints and wheel bearings. The most common sound associated with CV joints is clicking, and this isn't clicking. I see not tears in the CV boot. The wheel isn't loose, either. There are a variety of sounds apparently associated with the wheels rotating (versus engine reving) but the pitch doesn't raise and lower much with speed variations. I think a banging noise, like something spinning loose is hitting something fairly hard, best describes it, but there are also sqeaking, screaching, clanging noises, but I wouldn't say clicking. I don't think it is a belt (I had a loose belt pulley on another card that made sounds, but not like these. Plus, all the pulleys are on the right side).

The noise happens while driving straight but intensifies when turning, either direction. I'm not sure, but it may be affected by the AC. It makes noise whether the AC is on or not, but maybe a bit more when the AC is on.

I am not a mechanic, but I took the wheels off and looked around everywhere I could and I see no obvious signs of any trouble. Before I take it in to a mechanic, can anyone guess what it may be?

Thanks

Reply to
bmsd

Wheel bearings or loose brake caliper

Reply to
Ray O

CV joints begin with a gentle click when the steering wheel is turned full lock, such as during a U-turn, or after pulling out of a parking space.

Growling starts out when the bearing gets warm, as in after a few miles. As it gets worse, it'll growl all of the time. In any case, it sounds like you have a clue what is wrong, so you need to get the car to a mechanic, or buy a friend that knows cars well a 6-pack of his favorite beer, and have him (or her) take a look at the car.

The good news is that the suspected bearing and the CV joint are near each other, and the labor difference isn't huge.

Reply to
J Strickland

What Ray said.

Reply to
J Strickland

There is, however, a pretty big difference in the price of a set of wheel bearings and a CV joint. Wheel bearings are a lot less.

Reply to
Ray O

That's certainly true.

I don't think he is hearing the CV joint though, and if he is then he's way past the gentle clicking when the steering wheel is turned full lock. He never mentioned the clicking, so my guess is the wheel bearings. The labor rate is about the same, no matter which he needs, so the price difference is Parts.

Reply to
J Strickland

Sorry, I meant wheel bearings, not ball joints. Thanks for all your help. I'll try to figure out if I can do (believe it or not I am mechanically inclined) or pay for it to be done.

96&make=TO&model=COR-8-002&category=All&part=Wheel+Bearing

Reply to
bmsd

96&make=TO&model=COR-8-002&category=All&part=Wheel+Bearing>

Without doing any research as to whether they are the correct ones or not, yes, this link shows bearings.

If you are mechanically inclined and have access to a repair manual and tools, you can change the bearings.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Reply to
bmsd

Independent Toyota dealer looked at it and said I need a hub and bearings. $386 estimate. Sound right?

Reply to
bmsd

Depending on what prevailing labor rates are where you are, yes.

Reply to
Ray O