Adjust valves? 1.8L 2001 Sentra

I have a 2001 Sentra 1.8 with 50,000 miles. Do the valves ever need adjusting? I have heard the following:

Owners Manual: 'Adjust the valves if they make too much noise.' Dealer Mechanic: 'Don't worry about it, we've never seen these go out of spec, and anyway we don't have the shims in stock.' Dealer Parts Rep: 'Those have hydraulic lifters, no adjustment'.

So, do I need to adjust the valves on the Sentra 1.8 engine? How often? How hard would this be as a DIY project?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pete

true statment , chances are they will never need adjusting

somewhat true, I have not seen any go out yet , all things considered, they have only been out for a few years now, shims are needed to adjust the lash

somewhat incorrect, It does have hydraulic lifters but the lash is adjusted by using shim's

How often? maybe in a few 100K miles or so

no, special tools are needed to do this correctly

Reply to
NissTech

Thank you, Niss Tech. Because you're here & willing to answering this, my mind is put at ease, and I can enjoy driving the Sentra w/o worrying about burning the valves. --'Pete'

Reply to
Pete

Don't worry about adjusting the Valves. I had a 2001 Sentra also with over

108,000 on it before she was totalled last year. Great car. Valves never made noise during my duration of hard driving and racing.

Also if your sentra has 14' rims, I have some Brigdestone Potenza RE950 for sale. They only have 2000 miles on them. Took them off when she got totaled. They are Great tires, make the car handle and grip tight. Only down fall is the high amount of grip allows you to go into curves faster but the supsension is not up to part with all the body roll. However with the roll, there is no point of lost of grip or fish tailing. Even in rain.

Reply to
<jwillimas1981

Thanks Jwillimas,

Yep I have the 14" rims. Don't want any more tires right now. Have some Cooper Lifeliners. They seem kind of heavy but otherwies do okay. I don't race much, sometimes to pass slow geezers who are blocking the road but that's it.

My 2nd set of tires & rims carry snows. Snow tires make a huge difference, more important than 4wd w/o snow tires. I confidently pass 80% of traffic in this plain little Sentra when there's a bit of snow on the road. There's less and less snow here in recent years, hardly worth it, but bought the snows to take a trip thru the Rockies in November, really helped us get there w/o sweat when others turned around & headed back.

-'Pete'

Reply to
Pete