89 TOYOTA COROLLA SR-5

can someone tell me how to adjust the valves in my car and at what torque they should be? thanks for your help in advance

Reply to
SMILEY

Valves are not "torqued."

You will need a metric socket set, a set of metric combination wrenches, a flat head screwdriver, a set of feeler gauges, and a Chilton, Haynes, Motor, or factory repair manual. You may be able to find one or more of the first three at your local library or auto parts store. The manual will tell you the proper valve clearance (measured with the feeler gauge) and how to adjust the valves. Note that there are different specs for the intake and for the exhaust valves. This is if the valves are adjusted with locknut and adjusting screw. If the valves are adjusted with shims, you will also need a micrometer and a special tool to release tension on the buckets. If the valves are adjusted with shims, I recommend that you bring the car to a Toyota dealer for adjustment.

Reply to
Ray O