To adjust hot or cold?

Continuing on with a thred that disappeared somewhere...

OK, Teggers was pointing out that valve lash should be adjusted when cold. This has how I have undertaken it on several motorcycles as getting it to temp with the cams out, tank off etc to get at the shims is impossible (though insert advances in "special tools here).

The 4AC needs an inspection (one of those I've been putting off things) and am quite happy to adjust when cold. Will the earth and the moon require the interaction of McGyver to untangle the evil that may be unleashed if I do it this way?

If not, why is it that all the Australian Spec manuals have "get car to operating temp, ten burn fingers adjusting valves?

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hammo

If you adjust valve lash when cold, the valve has a chance of being burned because the tolerance you set will be reduced when operating temperature is reached and the valve may be open too long. If lash is adjusted when hot, the tolerance you set will be more accurate at operating temperature, but you may notice a bit of valve clatter noise until operating temperature is reached because the tolerance you set hot will be greater when cold. Most manufacturers specify whether to set valve lash tolerances hot or cold. I would definitely go by the manual. If it says to adjust when hot, I would rather have ten slightly burned fingers than ten slightly burned valves.

Reply to
user