Cause of sticking caliper

I've got a 94 Altima with almost 170,000 km on it, and I just discovered that the front passenger's side caliper is sticking quite a bit. With the car raised, that side is quite stiff to turn by hand with the wheel mounted, while the driver's side is almost freewheeling. Also, that wheel is hot to the touch, which is understandable. Anyway, I was just curious, is it more likely a bad flex hose, or a bad caliper, or something else? Is there any way to tell other than replacing the flex hose, if that is the problem or not?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
JM

I actually tried that when I had the wheel off.. let out maybe 1/2 ounce or so, and it did seem to free up a bit after that, but that may have just been things cooling down. I may just replace the hose anyway if it's not too expensive, it's old and could probably stand replacing, and I can do it myself without much trouble.

Thanks for the reply,

Reply to
JM

before buying new hoses, try swapping them out and see if the problem follows. if it does, you've pinpointed the problem. if not, at least you've eliminated something from the picture.

Reply to
this is me...

Doing the caliper is really not much more work. Pull it off, remove the pads, pull the seal and piston. Check the cyl for obvious wear. If it's bad, you can buy a new one aftermarket typically for less than $40 for most Nissans. Check. If it looks good but is just dirty, clean it up and rebuild with new seals for about $5 per side.

Clean the pins, regrease. If they are corroded, you'll need to decide if they are restorable or need replacement.

If the cyl's have not been done before, chances are that they are very dirty inside at this point.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I'd try that, but I don't exactly have any spares to swap with :) I don't think the other side is the same shape is it?

Reply to
JM