electrics problem

My neighbour recently fiited a new stereo for my 97 Almera and since then the rear lights, front side lights, lights-on buzzer (when door opens with lights still on) and back-light in the speedo display have stopped working. Then the radio suddenly stopped working (there was a burning smell just before). I have checked the wires for burns and checked all the fuses. I know this is too specific to answer directly but need to know where to start before I have to fork out at a garage.

thanks for any advice

Reply to
sharkie