Erratic Tachometer on '87 Pulsar

I have an '87 Pulsar (E16i SOHC) Engine with 155,000 miles on it. For the last couple of days the tachometer has been fluctuating inconsistently with the true RPM of the engine. For example, I'll be driving at 65 MPH with the tach reading around 3000 RPM (normal) and then all of a sudden it will drop to a few hundred RPM or even zero for a few seconds and then it will return to normal. Or sometimes, when the car is first started it will read zero and then it will be normal. The engine runs smooth and starts just fine so the problem seems to be just with the tach. The other gauges are working fine. Does anybody know where the tach gets its signal from or the location of its connector under the hood? If someone knows of an online source or could post the schematic for the tach circuit that would be great too. Thanks.

Reply to
T.C. Mann

Next time it happens, whack the dash hard above the tach and see if it fixes it. If it does, it's likely the tach unit.

There's a voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster too. I forget if it will cause erratic operation or if the gauges just die when it goes bad.

Reply to
still just me

I have a similar problem with my '91 Pathfinder and it also affects my speedometer, but it is very occasional and whacking the dash usually produces a useful reading. I have checked the speedo on measured miles, and it reads fairly consistently 5% low at highway speeds.

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin