Re: Erratic Tachometer on 95 Maxima

I found a number of postings related to erratic behavior of the

> tachometer. However, none the response provided a solution. > > I have two problems that are similar: > > Problem 1: When the rpm increases beyond 2500 rpm, the tach jumps > to 2900 rpm and will stay there until the rpm increases beyond 3000 > rpm. It has this problem continuously. > > Problem 2: Sometimes the tach is stuck at 2900 rpm and will very > slowly increase to about the red line area, independent of engine rpm. > When this occurs, I simply have to turn the ignition off and then on > again. This will resolve problem 2 for a few days but I will still > have problem 1. > > About 5 years ago, I had a problem with the odometer getting stuck. I > replaced the entire instrument cluster with a new one from the dealer. > > I would like to hear from anyone if this problem is caused by a faulty > tachometer, wiring or ECM output, or something else. > > Your help is much appreciated. > > Regards, > > Harry van der Meer > Uxbridge, MA

I have not received any response. If there is anyone who has some suggestions, I would love to hear.

Thanks much.

Reply to
Harry van der Meer

I have the same problem, except my 95' Maxima gets stuck around 3000 rpm. It goes beyond red line and then jumps back down to normal. I am also looking for a solution for this. I am thinking about changing the tachometer myself.

Reply to
Kamal

The problem I have on my '95 Max is that the tach never exceeds 2000 rpm despite reving 'er up.

Cheers, Norm

Reply to
normk60

I found a used instrument panel on ebay for $125 with luckily nearly the same odometer reading. This solved the problem. The dealer quoted about $350 for a new tach.

Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry van der Meer