Found a massive oil leak in my 99 Sentra

I'm losing about a quart a week.

Checked the engine bay. The oil leak seems to be around the belts area. The belts and hoses are coated with oil.

Now I'm dreading that it's probably the crank main seal and perhaps hoping that it's the water pump, but when a water pump goes it leaks coolant, and this is definitely oil.

Any other possibilities? If its the crank seal, that sounds very expensive.

Thanks

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yep, it is the seal, and it seems to be very common on nissan motors, it happened to me too and a mechanic who I trust fix it for $600 pesos (~$60 US dolars, I am in Mexico). If a rutine tune-up here goes for $650 pesos, do the math.

Good luck

Codifus wrote:

Reply to
raluxs

On 16 Oct 2006 06:48:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net graced this newsgroup with:

my 99 Sentra blew the same seal. $400.

Reply to
amstaffs

Ouch! Since I'm going to have someone replace it, may as well replace the water pump while they're at it, right? They'll have all those guts open in the same area.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Talked to my trusty mechanic. He said that the job will cost around $300 and that you don't do the water pump. The job is done from underneath the car. Relatively easy to get to. I thought it was like open heart surgery. He's expereienced this with a few Sentras as well.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:19:17 -0400, Codifus graced this newsgroup with:

No, the water pump isn't in the same area. It can be done from under the car. It's really not a big deal. A little expensive but most likely, after you have it repaired, it'll be good for the life of the car. I personally think the original seal was defective since the replacement seal is better quality but I doubt we'll ever get Nissan to ever own up to it.

Reply to
amstaffs