Improving Xterra Gas Mileage

And they do this after the cat how? There is -no way- there can be any sort of sonic wave tuning that far back in the system. And weather conditions etc could easily change the fuel milage the amount you are talking about.

Of course any time you make the exhaust louder people claim "more power", that's been proven time and again as well as feeling a difference because you just spent money on this stuff so it HAS to make a difference! Real dyno testing (by me) has shown my those drop in K&N filters do absolutely NOTHING unless you're replacing a plugged up filter with one.

Sorry to sound so rude but I get irritated when people start repeating marketing hype they bought into as fact.

Reply to
Steve T

Wait it was 30MPG in one post, now it was 25MPG? Is this how a "scientist" logs/reports information?

Again a free flowing exhaust -CAN- help high RPM power if the car has a restricted exhaust from the factory, very few cars today have this problem. There is NO WAY to get any sonic tuning effects after the converter. This low end power and MPG you claim is a result in your vested interest in making it appear to be better. Just like the people claiming splitfire plugs do this sort of thing. It's all in their head from believing marketing hype.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve, if you're happy with your vehicle the way it is, then more power to ya. I have buddies that have also done dyno testing (you can also pick up any copy of Truckin', Sport Truck, etc) and the results are there, dude. More hp at the crank, more hp at the wheel, more torque all around, etc. BUT, if you don't want any of those results, proven results, then that's your prerogative.

Bhuvan

Granted, I'm tired after the Sox win last night, so I gave the wrong numbers. EPA was about 25 mpg; that's where I goofed up. I don't know why you 2 guys are getting hostile. If you're happy with your truck the way it is, then more power to ya. But I will say, aftermarket filters and exhausts HAVE been proven to increase your mileage. A lot of people just don't realize the savings b/c they're too busy peeling out, revving up, etc....

Bhuvan

Everyone agrees with the power change. It's this gas mileage that makes no sense.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Well, considering there is no theory supporting the claim of improved mileage. And although I haven't followed any of the product reviews for the X-Terra aftermarket parts, I assure you I've never seen either a muffler or intake for any vehicle that has been proven to improve gas mileage. Power/torque, yes, but not fuel economy. I just want anyone else reading this to understand that this mechanical engineer/automotive enthusiast does not buy the gas mileage claims. It's for power only.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

|Mark, |I just bought an Xterra (2004 model). I'm researching better mileage too, |because I love the truck other than the mileage. It appears that a 'Cool |air intake' and high flow exhaust gives the most bang for the buck, along |with keeping your foot out of it. I have a Volant cool air intake on order |and am looking into maybe a Flowmaster exhaust (muffler only maybe). I will |try to remember to let you know what kind of results I get. You can go to |xterraparts.com and see some high flow exhaust systems. Both changes cost |some bucks. If gas prices keep rising then the payback may be quicker. |Good luck. |

I think the fact is the 04 and earlier Xterra has an ancient engine design with crappy fuel mileage hence the major engine overhaul for 05 (that's now pushed out to Feb 05 from what I'm told by my dealer). Honestly I totally love my 04 X but it's on the way out for an 05 Outback (I traded a 99 Outback for the X). At a consistent 16.8 mpg highway driving nicely (fully stock) with the cruise on an no AC it's costing me much more than the Subaru would (28 mpg and I have friends with them that get 29). If gas was $1/gal I'd drive the X until it fell apart. At $2 I gotta be more sensible.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at

Brian Bergin