F150 Supercrew 5.4 Liter - How to increase gas mileage?

Has anyone added anything to their 5.4 liter Supercrew to significantly change the gas mileage? Right now, I get 15 mpg.

Thanks,

RayJ

2001 F150 Supercrew
Reply to
RayJ351

Drive slower

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I get 16..sometimes 17 with my 2001 5.4 Supercrew with towing package on highway driving and I consider this to be good mileage for this type of vehicle, I doubt you can improve it much more than that. Maybe try driving it a little more gently and see if it helps but in my experience this doesn't make much difference with this truck. Towing a 24 foot travel trailer I get 10-11 on long trips , usually with A/C on and a full load of fuel and gear, again I consider this to be pretty good and I don't expect to improve it much.

Reply to
Mikey S.

||Has anyone added anything to their 5.4 liter Supercrew to significantly change ||the gas mileage? Right now, I get 15 mpg.

If you have running boards or anything similar, get rid of them Large mirros make a noticeable difference. I have noticed people on the interstates lately with one or both foled up against the body. Tonneau cover, or even better, a bedcap. Front air dam

All of these will only help highway fuel consumption. The total of all of these might be 1 mpg Around town, the biggest factor is vehicle weight, which you can't do much about. High tire inflation pressures do help some Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Smooth driving will likely give you your greatest improvement in gas mileage.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (which squeaks 15+ mpg when driven nice and at speeds in the 55 mph range)
Reply to
Matt Mead

And avoid jackrabbit starts! Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

How many miles you got on that? Try the other suggestions...plus...try a different motor oil. Several manufacturers (eg Quaker State) offer special blends for high mileage engines and/or an oil additive such as Restore can't hurt. My 2 cents. Cheers. Joe

P.S. I've recently purchased a can of Restore, but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Reply to
KB8QLR

Restore definitely restores compression and gas mileage on engines with compression problems. But you have to add a can at every oil change else the effects disappear within 200 miles.

I had a '91 Mazda Protege 195,000 miles, Restore really put the pep back into the engine. It went from running rough, missing under load, and using 2 quarts of oil between changes to not using oil, smooth running, and good acceleration under load.

But I've read post where it has seized compression rings and clogged oil rings on pistons after prolonged usage.

Unless its a worn-out eng>How many miles you got on that?

Reply to
Eb

||Restore definitely restores compression and gas mileage on engines ||with compression problems. But you have to add a can at every oil ||change else the effects disappear within 200 miles. || ||I had a '91 Mazda Protege 195,000 miles, Restore really put the pep ||back into the engine. It went from running rough, missing under load, ||and using 2 quarts of oil between changes to not using oil, smooth ||running, and good acceleration under load.

I agree, you can almost always feel the difference immediately. I have used Restore occasionally for years, in a variety of vehicles. It does what they say it does.

||But I've read post where it has seized compression rings and clogged ||oil rings on pistons after prolonged usage.

I've not heard that, nor have I used it every oil change for any length of time.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

vehicles.

clogged

A guy at work improved his mileage on a Avalanche.

He added a throtle body plate, and one of those air induction kits. He improved his highway mileage by about 2 mpg. These 2 improvements cost about 350 bucks. Also, a flowmaster muffler is susposed to help too, by reducing back pressure. These items will help, but will cost some bucks. By the way I have a '04 XL with 5.4. I only get 12 and

  1. I am going to try the induction kit, but havent done it yet. kevin
Reply to
Kevin

But at 350 bucks, adding 2 miles per gallon, you'll never have a pay off. You'll never drive the truck long enough to save enough to pay back the price of the intake. Even if something only costs $50, you won't see the pay off for several years. Does this make it a wise investment?

TC

Reply to
ThomasPC

Good idea doing the math. But you didn't do it. In fact, by saying there's "never" a payoff, you went way outside the basic principles of the analysis and showed you didn't understand it at all. To take into consideration changes in mpg, you have to start with an mpg number. For example, if you drive 10,000 miles a year at 15 mpg, that's 667 gallons. At 17 mpg (a 2 mpg change) that's 10,000 / 17 = 588 gallons, a savings of 79 gallons. If gas is a $1.70, that's $134 a year. Draw your own conclusions of how many "several years" it takes to recoup a $50 investment and a $350 investment.

That wasn't hard was it? The only thing you need to remember is that you can't start with 2 mpg and say "What if I drive 10,000 miles at 2 mpg more......" That doesn't tell you how much money is involved.

Reply to
Joe