K&N and gas mileage - '92 Pathfinder

Yea right, changing the air filter type gives 5% increase in MPG? Anyone else here consider how this can happen when you're running the engine at low RPM's and no where NEAR the limit of the factory filter's flow rate.

My bet is he is driving differently -trying- to get better MPG so his filter will do something. Don't you think the factory would use these filters if they really did give a 5% increase in MPG as is guy claims? They know better MPG will sell more trucks and they spends hundreds if not thousands making the vehiles lighter, better areodynamics in a wind tunnel ect trying to acomplish what this guy claims he did for $35.

Reply to
Steve T

But more than this, doesn't the computer compensate for airflow?

Reply to
HoloBarre©®

Well, the K&N has to clog up a little to start filtering, so maybe he got a temporary boost :-)

You're right though... a K&N can't possibly have any effect unless you are going WOT a lot and then MPG is not a concern.

I agree.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Bob- I have been outed. I measured the milage w/ my FRAM air filter only going up hill. At the top of the hill I switch to my K&N and drove back down and took a new measurement.

Seriously.... As the original owner of this car I am still getting better milage with K&N weeks after first installation. So if your logic applies then you would also argue that the K&N has permanently altered my driving style. Either way- I continue to see savings on gas (and as you point out now added savings on wear/tear with low RPMs).

Retro Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
MM