K&N and gas mileage - '92 Pathfinder

I know there is a general claim or belief that K&N filtres will give you more HP and better mileage, but I like data. I'm not as concerned about HP, but can anyone validate that I'll actually get better mileage on my '92 Pathfinder? How much? I like my pathfinder, but with as much gas as it uses, it wouldn't take much to justify installing a K&N instead of stock if it actually helps.

Aaron '92 Pathfinder '88 MR2 NA '70 Beetle project

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

K&N makes a lot of claims... but where is the data? Users, who have a vested interest, also swear by K&N. But, again, where's the data? All kinds of folks make claims and yet none of them seem able to provide credible test information.

A major concern of mine would be about filtration. My understanding is that stock paper filters remove smaller particles than do K&N filters.

Assuming that K&Ns are equal to OEM filters in protecting an engine against wear, because they are cleanable and reuseable they can save some filter costs over time. Personally I'd rather keep my Nissan stock and avoid the mess and work of removing, cleaning, oiling and reinstalling my filter element.

YMMV.

Reply to
Butch Davis

I use Amsoil lifetime foam air filters. They remove much fine particles than the stock, paper ones and they also flow much better. I clean and re-oil it every 30k. No big deal.

(let the flames begin!)

-rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

Rob,

No prob. ;=) Some folks enjoy working on vehicles some don't. I used to enjoy it but simply have too many other claims on my time since retiring. For example, tomorrow I'm obligated to go fishing for reds, specks, and flounder.

For me life is just too short.

Reply to
Butch Davis

And you won't see any. Maybe they help if the factory filter is plugged up?

Why would you? At part throttle there is very little if any air filter restriction and even if there was, the EFI adjusts for it.

It doesn't.

The reason it eats gas is crappy aerodynamics and drivetrain losses/rolling resistance, same with any SUV. Something that might help is the "right" type of street tires with plenty of pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Those "off road" look tires really eat gas.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

Hadn't considered that. Seems kind of obvious, now that you point it out.

losses/rolling

I know...it came with some 235 Pirelli Scorpions, and a tire that wide should do plenty to slow you down. It's a box on wheels, plain and simple. If I drive my MR2 to work about 10 days a month, the gas I save pays to keep the MR2 insured. My two reasons for even owning the Pathfinder are that the MR2 can be scary in the rain, so I'm sure it will be awful in the snow, and I needed something to tow my boat (it's a 16' fiberglass fishing boat).

Aaron '92 Pathfinder '88 MR2 NA '70 Beetle project

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

A little OT to this thread but what can I guy reasonably expect to get for fuel mileage out of a pathfinder? been considering buying one around early

90s
Reply to
DRR

I have an '02 LE 4x2. It gets 17 around town & 19, occasionally 20, on the highway.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I can't say for sure as the truck is new and the gas mileage is continuing to rise. But, if it flows more air, it will reduce pumping losses and improve the fuel economy slightly.

Reply to
Rob Munach

What are pumping losses? What mileage did you start out at, and how much is it improving?

In your Fronty, are you continually getting warm air thru your outside vent, despite the coldest setting (no A/C)? I read this a "door actuator" problem the dealer knows about. Somebody posted a site, nissanfrontier.net, actually one of many "communities" on ezboard.com. Pretty useful. Some strong Amsoil devotees there. Supposedly increases mileage by about 1 mpg! Along w/ other good synthetics. Altho somehow castrol got the powers-dat-is to (API?) to give their mineral product a class III--or sumpn.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I'm one of the moderators at

and yes, there are some Amsoil devotees. Personally, the religiousness of their selling turned me off from them, which is why I run Mobil 1. Since then, I have noticed an increase in my mpg; in fact, I got 32.5 mpg back in July. Of course, I had to baby the truck, but it is possible...

Reply to
Bhuvan

Pumping losses is the energy an engine uses to suck air in or expel exhaust gasses. Usually, less intake or exhaust restriction will reduce pumping losses which leaves more energy available to propel the vehicle.

I started out at about 18.7 and now I am consistantly getting 19.9 mpg in a mixture of urban and suburban driving. I expect about another

1/2mpg when I switch to Amsoil in the engine and drivetrain.
Reply to
Rob Munach

As opposed to what, Dino oil ? Synthetics should give you better mileage . In colder climates the synthetic will also help with cold start flow. I've yet to see anything to convince me that Amsoil is any better than mobil 1 in any regard.

As to a K&N (or Amsoil) there may be some advantage to them in a car with the ability to take advantage of increased flow. I think this would be limited to NA engines that have been modified and turbo and supercharged engines. I don't think it's going to have any effect at all on a NA motor I use a K&N on my slightly modified turbo - just not any of my NA cars. Even on a modified engine it is only going to make a difference at wide throttle settings.

Reply to
Retro Bob

"DRR" wrote in news:OBR9d.687351$gE.255888@pd7tw3no:

1992 Pathfinder XE with 90k= 16.7 MPG (70% highway). I want to check this again as I found it low (I was pretty sure it was around 18 MPG two years ago).

I bought the K&N for my 04 4Runner and my 92 Pathfinder- should arrive in the mail next week. I will be back to answer the question- does K&N work on the Pathfinder.

I might look at synthetics as well- I am paying $2.35/gal, so anything will help.

Reply to
MM

I run Mobil 1 *and* K&N....

Reply to
Bhuvan

Followup: K&N increased my gas milage 1.0 mpg. I will try synthetics next but only after I fix the oil leak that surfaced this month

MM wrote in news:Xns958D9B4F1D498noemailnowherecom@64.164.98.6:

Reply to
MM

That is at least 5%, so that is fairly significant.

Reply to
ppointer

Agreed. I bought the filter online for $36, so factoring in the mpg savings plus never buying an air filter again it will pay for itself shortly- not a bad deal.

snipped-for-privacy@nospamindspring.com wrote in news:3f9ld.13646$5n3.6322 @fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Reply to
MM