Loosing colling fluid

My car is not overheating, but losing fluid through the expansion tank. The tank fills up, but does not go back into the radiator during cooldown. I can only add coolant through the radiator cap. The fluid I add ends up overflowing the expansion tank.

I have checked all hoses and changed the radiator cap. When I rev the engine small bubbles burp up through the hoses and into the expansion tank. My exhaust is not white, and I do not have water in my oil.

Can this be anything but a blown head gasket or cracked head?

I sure hope so.

Reply to
Mike

Mike

Cheapo parts store radiator cap.. Make sure the hose going to the tank is in good shape and isn't leaking on either end as well. Is the hose going to the tank going into the bottom of the tank? If it goes into the top via the cap, is there a hose on thwe cap going down into the fluid to suck it out?

Reply to
Steve T

"Mike" wrote in news:7_Iad.82$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com:

Had the same problem with another car (non-Nissan) I own. Kept having to add coolant. Did a compression test that came out fine, ruling out the head gasket. I couldn't figure it out either, since there was never evidence of a leak. Turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket. Don't know about your car, but most run coolant through the intake manifold or throttle body to warm intake air when its cold out. On my car the coolant was leaking from the intake into the combustion process where it got burned up, but not enough to notice in the exhaust. Thus was solved the mystery of the disappearing coolant.

Reply to
akheel

runs out onto engine. this took me manny months to figure why i was losing fluid. good luck

Reply to
tony g