micra 1.2 1989 gearbox problem - oil change

Hello all,

Sorry for posting at both NG again, but my problem is aggravating fast.

In short : shifting out of 3rd gear is very hard, and causes problems to shift into other gears. The stick is very hard to move and feels jammed. The problem is not there when shifting out of 3rd gear when car isn't moving.

Likely causes have been suggested : clutch is not functioning properly, oil is very polluted or just not there anymore, internal gearshift rods and safing pins are not in good condition, external gearshift levers have too much play and/or aren't well adjusted, excessive wear anywhere, ...

I'm heading for a new garage on tuesday, but I would welcome any suggestions.

Other point : I don't find the gearbox oil drain- and inspection/oil fill plugs. Does anybody on the NG has some ideas where to find them ?

MTIA, much obliged,

Regards

carl

Reply to
carl

"> Sorry for posting at both NG again, but my problem is aggravating fast.

Hello again,

I just received another advice on my problem.

It appears the 3/4 synchro hub can get cracked on this model, and it should be a very common problem. Has anyone else heard about it ? I will post any further comment from this source of course. It appears this problem originates from shifting between gears too fast too often ?

Any advice welcome !

Regards,

carl

Reply to