R380 GEARBOX STIFF GEARCHANGE.

I have a 2001 TD5 Discovery which has started to become very difficult to change gear after motorway cruising. After approx 30 mins at

60mph or more the shift becomes very very tight. So much so that to come out of 5th, the gear lever stays in position and has to be physically pushed across to sit between 3rd and 4th. Another hard push is needed to go across to 1st/2nd.

Actually going in and out of each gear is fine with no crunching. Once the vehicle speed has reduced, it becomes a little easier to move around the box. Stopping and switching off for 30 mins usually allows the symptoms to go away completely and I am back to my usual gear lever self centring and easy to move back and forth. Normal non- motorway driving does not cause any symptoms at all and all is ok.

I changed the transmission oil two weeks ago, the old was only 12 months old and fine. New ATF in and it still does the same.

I can't imagine that the box is overheating because surely an overheating box would do the opposite to what I am experiencing.

Does anybody have any suggestions or experience of this?

Basko.

Reply to
b.baskerville