problem low gear shifting on 1992 jeep 5 speed transmission

problem low gear shifting on 1992 jeep 5 speed transmissio
read it is probably the transmission fluid?? what do i use, can not find a good repair manual yet
does this use 75-90 weight oil any help appretiated, just got this and it is almost impossible to shift when cold, when it warms up ok, actually got stuck in 3rd once thanks susa
-- susansjeep
View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-374646.htm
Send from http://www.carstalk.ne
Your transmission (AX-15) actually needs a GL3 oil. Best I've found is Redline MT90 or MTL. It costs a little more and may be hard to find but most 4WD and performance shops should have it or can get it. The common gear lubes (75W90, 85W140, etc.) sold are rated GL5 and contain sulphur which is hard on the brass syncromesh parts in your transmission.
It could also just be low on fluid - but I would suggest the change anyway. My first job when buying anything used is to drain and refill EVERYTHING so that I know what I have.
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:07:39 UTC susansjeep

--
Will Honea

Hi Susan, The locking in third is either a broken sync ring or your clutch is not being fully released, because the fluid is low or air is in it's hydraulic system. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
susansjeep wrote:

It is a good idea to change an unknown Jeep's tranny fluid. They get water in them easy and if the fluid freezes it won't shift.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)