Nissan 200SX electrical problem?

My '96 Nissan is on it's third alternator, at just under 100,000 miles. At least I assume it's the alternator, because the whole electrical is a mess of symptoms.

Is this normal? The dealer's mechanic said they're good for 12,000 miles only, but that seems unreal. This is my first Nissan, and, although I've looked in the manual and searched elsewhere, I haven't found much information on this problem.

Reply to
Lollie

least I assume it's the alternator, because the whole electrical is a mess of symptoms.

but that seems unreal. This is my first Nissan, and, although I've looked in the manual and searched elsewhere, I haven't found much information on this problem.

Alternators last around 100,000 - 120,000 miles. Mine is 13 years old and has done 117K. I expect to replace the brushes in the next 5-10K miles, cost should be about £2 (if you can't DIY then about 1 hour labor, cost £1 for the Toyota Celica 10 years ago), then it will be good for another 100K miles baring a bearing failure.

Take it to an auto electrician.

Is it a USA front wheel drive Sentra or a UK / Australian rear wheel drive 200SX (Japan Silvia)? If it's RWD you can download a Nissan shop manual form the internet.

Peter Hill

you may want to clarify the your statement about the car being on it's third alternator, it should read like this

The car is on it's third (here comes the key word) AFTERMARKET rebuilt alternator.

Go to the dealership and buy a Nissan OEM rebuilt alternator, and you won't have to worry about it for a long time

least I assume it's the alternator, because the whole electrical is a mess of symptoms.

only, but that seems unreal. This is my first Nissan, and, although I've looked in the manual and searched elsewhere, I haven't found much information on this problem.

Reply to
NissTech

It shouldn't be on anything other than the original factory fitted alternator at under 100K miles.

Peter Hill

I have a 1998 200 sx s14a and I am a member of the sxoc as in

post any 200 sx related question in here and you will get results, you don`t have to be a paid up member to use the site only to get into the members area

Reply to
marklapham