Nissan D21 Pickup Engine Noise

I was on the freeway after a 2 hour 75mph trip but never exceeded 3k RPM on the tack, when I got off, I had a ticking sound as if it were a lifter that progressively got worse. I'd had castrol 5-30 in the engine from the winter and stopped by a lube outfit and had it changed with fresh 10-30. The noise appeared gone but came back after about 3 minutes.

It sounds like a woodpecker - sounds crazy but it sounds like either a woodpecker or the rata-tat-tat of short machine gun bursts and almost like it could be a spark plug wire arcing to ground. Performance is good though it *seems* like suddenly my fuel consumption is up too, in terms of miles per gallon. The sound/no sound of this is like you hear if for a couple of seconds and then you don't for a couple of seconds and then it's back.

Does this even sound remotely familiar to anyone? Sounds like a lifter type noise coming from the drivers front corner of the engine - engine is a 3.0 v6.

thanks very much for any replies...

Chris

Reply to
cover

Could be a bit of crap in one or more lifters that needs to be flushed out. Or could be a rod bearing has spun in a connecting rod which would be a bit more serious. Take it in to a shop to get an onsite diagnosis.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Broken exhaust manifold stud? Usually it's the passenger side that fails first though. Same kind of ticking sound. Try this mechanic trick: get a long screwdriver or metal tool -> place one end on area of motor where you think the sound is coming from -> place other end to your ear. This is kind of like a stethoscope and will help you to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. DS

Reply to
DS