Nissan vibration.

Hi,

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra. The problem I have at the moment is that at around 55 mph (90kph) there is a vibration similar to what you get when a wheel is not balanced. I have had the wheels balanced three times but the vibration is still there. It is not noticeable below about 50 mph or above

60 mph. only in that narrow range around 55 mph. Prior to getting this problem, the wheels were replaced by Nissan under a recall. After the replacement, I didn't really notice any vibration. A little later, I had new tires on the car. Still no vibration that was noticeable. It was only a few weeks later that my wife was driving the car and told me about it. Since that time, it has been very noticeable. The vibration is quite bad. The only other thing I have done is to replace the front rotors but the problem didn't appear until some time after that. In other words, I can't tie the vibration in to something that was done to the car. Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks - Pete

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

i would check and repack the front wheel bearings or replace them alltogether...just my 2 cents

Reply to
Shawn

Dont stop at the bearings- Do a CAREFUL check on all the front end parts.

-Pete

Shawn wrote:

Reply to
speedy

It was only a few weeks later that my wife was driving the car

Maybe ask the wife how fast she hit the kerb and what side ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi again,

I just checked the front end out (the first mild weather we have had recently;-). I found that the passenger side McPherson strut is weak. It allows the car to bounce about four times before settling down. The drivers side barely bounces when I do the same test. It looks like that is my problem. What do you think?

Thanks - Pete

Reply to
Peter Sheriff

FWIW I had a Nissan Sunny (B11 chassis) once that was rather sensitive to wheel balance, it had to be spot on or there was a lot of vibration, but after changing the front dampers (shocks, struts whatever) the vibration dropped a lot and was much easier to get balanced.

Reply to
SteveB

I have had problems in the past with struts that wore out prematurely and had a LOT of side-to-side play, so you could have found at least some of your trouble.

-Pete

Peter Sheriff wrote:

Reply to
speedy