Overheating 94 Nissan Sentra

Can any expert help me please. My 94 Nissan Sentra XE 4DR is still overheating despite changing the radiator and the thermostat. What else do I need to look at ? Thanks in advance

Reply to
kipkem

My personal list of things to check in the event of overheating based on cost and effort:

  1. Radiator Cap (really, this is often a cause)
  2. Purge coolant system (evacuate all air bubbles in system)
  3. Hoses (minute cracks can cause loss of coolant and then overheating)
  4. Thermostat (this can be checked with a thermometer and pot of warming water)
  5. Raidator (if you can see build-up floading in your radiator, that's not a good sign)
  6. Water pump (usually sounds bad when failing)

Good luck.

overheating despite changing the radiator and the thermostat. What else do I need to look at ?

Reply to
DC_Hawaii

I'll add a bit to #6 (water pump):

Make sure the antifreeze looks like it's circulating properly with the radiator cap off. If it doesn't, pull that water pump off and check the impeller. I had one a few years ago on a new (to us) customers vehicle that had the impeller corroded off! There were only about 3 little severely corroded `fingers' where the impeller should have been. A new pump and flush later all was well (amazingly the hoses and thermostat had been replaced at another facility). I guess that's why we charged a little more at our shop, we actually checked the end result of our work. LOL

Wil

Reply to
Truck

If every thing checks out to be good, I have seen headgaskets leak and heads crack on the sentra 1.6l.

Reply to
brystok

Faulty thermostat? If replacing thermostat, make sure air bleed hole faces up.

Electric fan not operating?

Improper ignition timing?

Proper belt tension?

despite changing the radiator and the thermostat. What else do I need to look at ?

Reply to
rose