Pathfinder gas Gauge- Works only when cold !!

My 91 Pathfinder has a gas gauge with a mind of its own. When it is cold outside , no problem. Drive it for 10 minutes and the gauge drops to empty. I imagine that a contact is expanding with engine heat and shorting out....

Any good diagnosticians want to comment?

Rob

Reply to
Regalite2

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Regalite2) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

Is your temperature gauge working? Both are controlled by a voltage regulator behind the instrument cluster - I've replaced it twice in the lifetime of my 92PF.

Has the fuel tank sender unit ever been replaced? My gas gauge either works intermittently, or partially, and it's due to faulty contacts in the fuel sender unit. It is located on the top of the fuel tank, and is gasketed, and is accessed through the panel in the rear cargo area. It's a "known problem" for those contacts to rust over time. A new sender is not cheap, and there can be problem with replacement if the bolts holding it to the fuel tank are also rusted.

Reply to
Dave Patton

Gee, sounds like the speedo in my 95 Pathpuppy!

Reply to
<warren.pease