Temp gauge acting weird

I have a 91 Sundance, posted about it here before. Just got it a few weeks ago. I had some cooling and heating issues, got those fixed. The problem i have now is the Stock temperature gauge. When i first start it up, after about 5 or 10 minutes the gauge goes all the way to hot, stays there a few minutes, drops back to almost cold. As time and miles pass, it keeps doing this, but the swing isnt as severe and it eventually settles just short of the middle of the gauge. I've gotten out and checked the engine when it said it was hot, by feeling the cap, hoses, etc. Nothing that i would call not normal. So do i have a gauge/sensor problem? I cant imagine temperature swings being that rapid.

Reply to
b.clausen

Could be air in the system, or the thermostat not opening when it should.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

i just put a new thermostat in a couple weeks ago, and i thought i got all the air out, maybe i didn't. I'll try that again. I do have an aftermarket gauge i am gonna put in anyway

Reply to
b.clausen

Two things, the head gasket is blown causing combustion gases to enter the cooling system and causing an air pocket at the thermostat, this will cause the thermostat to take a long time to open because it is not rsesting in the coolant, the steam acually opens it. Once it is open you may not have this problem untill the next cold start up.

Or your heater core is partially stopped up causing lack of circulation in the head. Do you have heat coming thru the vents? Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes I have SOME heat, but its not that great. I was wondering about the heater core.

Reply to
b.clausen

Take and bypass the heater core, connect the hoses together at the firewall and drive it, see if the problem is gone, if it is... i think you know the answer to your fix

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to