1993 940 Gas Gauge

Hi all,

In my 1993 940, I seem to be having a curious problem with the gas gauge. It consistently reads about 2 US GAL less than it should...and if the car hasn't been run in a while, it will read empty until 5-10 minutes of driving, when it will slowly creep up.

Any ideas?

I will be taking the car in soon for a full systems checkup, so perhaps something will come about there. What are some danger signs or things to look for in a 940 sedan with 130,000 miles?

Reply to
Robert

hi, first , you can try to shorten the signal from the trunk, so it should display full tank. If that works, it's most likely the part in your tank..

If not, it's most likely the instrument-cluster. However, it might also be bad wiring, so you might also want to check by shortening the curcuit on the cluster too, just to be sure.

I had to replace the tank-unit in my 200-series. It would show full tank, then half tank, then suddenly drop to empty. However, while it was on empty, I still had A LOT of fuel left.

My sending unit in the tank was defective, as I think yours is.

Reply to
Olav Alexander Mjelde

My mechanic told me it would be about a $600 repair (after I spend $500 on brakes and suspension) so I decided to save this repair for later and have just been filling up every 350 miles. That seems to be working fine.

Reply to
Robert