Performance/Power Chips

Anyone have any experience with what are generally called "performance" and/or "power chips"? I have a 2003 Xterra and want to boost power a tad and have heard that an easy, effective and safe way to do so is by installing one of these chips.

What say ye?

Jim

I've had so-so luck with these. On popular cars for hot rodding (like the twin turbo 300ZX) several people have good computer upgrades. On other not so popular models, we have tried "performance computers" and the cars ended up being slower than stock! One 84 300ZX we tried a "power chips" brand upgrade and it was 4 seconds slower 0-60 MPH afterwards!!! You do realize on a nissan there is no "chip" that can be removed so the whole computer would need to be "upgraded".

I guess what I'm saying is unless you've heard from a bunch of people with your exact model truck that ______ makes a great computer, then I'd look elsewhere for power boost. Most of the time the easiest real power gains are with the exaust system.

Reply to
Steve

If your Xterra is an NA VG30 as is my Frontier. I can attest to Pwr and Torque gains from

I have the Complete Intake and the Exhaust. It has put me up near 200HP and 219TQ. It is ALSO 50 state Legal, smog cert'd and NISSAN sanctioned. There is also cams, header and Throttle Body available to beef the Output. Another place to look, depending on your Engine ( 2.4 or 3.0 ) is
for underdrive pulley. I run the Underdrive Pulley on my 240sx Conversion to Silvia for show and it is also my track car. It immediately gave me PWR that I could notice AND tell in the 1/4 mile. Try Stillen if you like to spend $$$ or JWT and see if there is any development on the ECU. IF JWT does have it, as I have not looked yet as I write this, it IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. I have an ECU in the Silforty (240sx swap) and IT CRANKED more than just the

1/4 mile times.

Hope this helps

Happy Holiday Season to you.

Reply to
ZTech

Thanks guys, great info! Very much appreciated . . .

!jim

Reply to
Jim