Re: how soon ok to switch to synthetic

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:17:19 -0400, JimV graced this newsgroup with:

snipped-for-privacy@bowl>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:18:31 -0500, "HockNeck" >> graced this newsgroup with: >> >> >>>I don't agree with Jim V. >>> >>>All the independent researchers will tell u synthetic is superior in >>>application than conventional oil. >>>Synthetic does not break down under similar conditions as quickly as >>>conventional. >>>You pay more for syn, but you can stretch the oil intervals much further, so >>>the extra cash upfront >>>pay's for itself in the long run. >>> >>>Is it necessary like Jim states? Probably not. But it's not about >>>"necessary". It's about the big $ >>>investment you just made in a new car. If you want the best, then buy >>>synthetic. >>> >> >> >> >> I agree. Switch at first oil change and stick with synthetics. > >Go ahead it's your money. But have you EVER seen a Nissan engine with >ring or bearing failures? They are extremely well designed and built. >You could use the cheapest API certified oil and change it every 10K and >you still won't have lubrication related problems for 200K. Go on >
sometime and look at how cheap used Nissan motors go >for compared to others. It's because there's very little demand for >them. They just don't die no matter what oil you use. >

I'm not going to argue the ignorance of your insistence that dino oil is as good as synthetic oils. Spend 5 minutes doing a google search and come back with *any* information that states that synthetic oils are not superior in *every* category besides price.

Additionally, if *you* want to put cheap crap oil from an unknown source in a multi-thousand dollar car, knock yourself out. I pray I never end up buying a car that you've owned.

Also, there are three purposes for automotive oil - to lubricate, cool and finally keep clean, the interior moving parts of an engine. If the oil has lost the ability to do that, it needs to be changed. Dino oils are not designed to last 10k in an engine...period. Have you ever even heard of oil sludge? It's a BIG BIG BIG problem and it will total* your engine. Synthetic oil will NOT create oil sludge in your engine.

Dino oil will in FAR less than 10k. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean the laws of lubrication doesn't apply to the rest of the planet.

Reply to
kegler