Speedometer '89 240sx HUD Help

Hey Folks,

Just brought home the new "baby", a 1989 240sx xe to add to the 87 Pulsar.

Waiting for the manual to arrive now ; ) Here's the thing though:

The speedometer isn't working in the car nor is it displaying on the window although i do see the outline on the windshield.

I am not so worried about not seeing it on the shield right now but am a bit disconcerted that I can't see it at all on the car dash.

In my mind: Officer: "Do you have any idea how fast you were going??" Me: "No,but thanks for pulling me over - tell me, how fast 'was" I going...??"

I know I should have ordered the manual sooner!!!

Any thoughts appreciated.

ciao joanne

jojo

A HUD on an '89 240SX? Don't have that option on my '89. It'd be cool tho.. Must be the digital gauge cluster..

Check this out:...Some info that might prove helpful for you:

hehe, My 240 is a speeding ticket waiting to happen....

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Found another one for you:

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Hi TOKevin, Much, much appreciated. Both links were extremely helpful. Mostly what I was finding was the same problem and no solutions. I feel better now!!!!

As a musician, you would think the one thing I should a' learned was to solder......I can see in my mind's eye my dearly departed father with an "I told you so" look - He always thought women should learn how to do their own wrenching.

It's amazing how smart he actually really was lol!!

Thanks so much again JOanne

jojo

Your post got me looking for a new cluster for my 240. I'm thinking the HUD would be very cool to have...

Soldering isn't hard and I'll bet if you bat your eyelashes and swivel your hips, you can find some luv-struck man to do it for you. :)

I agree with your father. I think women should know how to do some of their own wrenching..

Yep. The one thing (well two) my parents never taught me before I moved out. Toilet paper and toothpaste are expensive!! lol!

Good luck with the speedo!

BTW: What kind of musician are you? I've been playing guitar since the early 80s..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

n/m, just saw the link to the website...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

LOL! I know! But I always seem to find the really nice guys that are so sweet but really don't know a lot about cars and would be afraid to let me know they didn't lol! It's a lot of pressure being a guy ya know!!

...and gear carrying. Until the last few years, I used to muscle up the fender bassman reissue and cart it out politely refusing offers to help carry out my gear for fear of being mistaken for a "chick singer" rofl. Now I graciously accept all the help I can get ; )

Very cool.What kind of stuff are you playing?

I have to say, the 240sx xe looks very very sweet loaded with gear.

Ok now back to wrenching problems, those links were very helpful plus I found a Nissan forum through the link and I think found some answers to the puzzle of the HUD and no dashboard lights.

On this particular forum there are people selling the HUD cluster and I can pass the link to you if you need it and don't already have it.

Thanks again so much. Happy wrenching. Joanne

jojo

Tell me about it.. Thankfully I managed to teach myself about cars (and a lot of other stuff) through necessity (translation: I didn't have the money to pay for repairs) My middle daughter (10) likes to help me wrench - and she's the girly-girl! - but my oldest (12 Tuesday) and my son (9) have no interest.

Might as well.. make the guys think they're scoring points. :)

Mostly 80' "hair metal" (Judas Priest, Motley Crue etc..) but I delve into some of the newer rock and blues. My daughter just started playing bass after 4 years on piano so her teacher is helping her out with a lot of the songs I play so we can jam together. She's doing very well for 4 months of lessons. She's got a VERY good sense of time as well. She makes mistakes because she's not totally familiar with the songs but she gets right back in and "catches up" great. (Hell, I still make mistakes!)

Never been in a band, but I am on a record, a tune called "Terminal Tommy" that I made with my 2nd instuctor a long time ago. I did all the lead tracks. I think there were 5 copies made. I have one somewhere around here. Haven't seen it in years tho.

A 40' semi with your band's name on the side would look sweeter.. Especially if it was following a 40' tour bus. :)

Glad they helped. I'm trying to sort out my own electrical issues in my dash as well.

yeah, that'd be cool..

You're welcome...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Hey TOKevin, Way to go introducing your girls to wrenching and bass playing - that is my kind of childhood!!!

I just started getting into the hair bands recently and out of the more blues and rock stuff. Hmmm....I seem to be going at this all backwards - which may now account for the electrical problems in my

240 ha!!

This is the forum I was telling you about - lots and lots of info and lots of archives to search as well.

Nice meeting you and talking with you. Let me know how it goes with your dash and if you do end up going with the HUD.

ciao Joanne

jojo

They've certainly got it better than I ever did... Middle kid wants to play drums (She's been playing piano for about 3 years) and I'm all for it ('cuz I'd like to learn too) but mom is not only saying no, she's saying HELL no. :)

I got into that stuff 'cuz that's what I listened to when I started playing. A few years ago I was playing about 4 hours a night and got all my kids hooked on old Sabbath tunes and some Metallica. Watching three little kids mosh to Master Of Puppets was hilarious. I know a couple of the "easier" Stevie Ray Vaughan tunes, but I'll never be good enough to do him well - I can play a little Pantera, but don't think I have enough fingers to even come close to the solos. hehehe

My daughter and I are currently playing Greenday's When September Ends, AC/DC's Rock 'n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution and Back In Black. She does really well on Back in Black and the Greenday tune only has 3 notes for her part. Can't wait until she learns some Priest 'cuz I know almost their entire catalog..

Cool, I'll check it out.. Thanks!

Not sure if I'm going to.. I'm looking towards bolting up a turbocharger and creating a faded paint, dented fender sleeper... :)

Good luck with your electrical problems!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego