Re: Quick Altima chain question

Just wondering if it is or was still common practice to remove the upper

> chain guides on newer (circa 1999) Altima engine. My 94 had the guide > removed and I'm wondering if I should get the 99's taken off as well. Was > there any reason for the removal aside from silencing some chain noise?

They recomended it because the guides were breaking off and causing major problem when they did. I would guess if they put them back in, they have fixed the problem? For several years after the problem models, the factory left them out. Just FYI.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks. I happened to think of it while I had my service manual out and don't see any pictures of or mention of the upper guide(s), so I guess they must have eliminated them at some point.

Reply to
JM

How many miles did you have on your '94 when you had the chain guide problem? I've got 108,000 on my '94 and nothing noticeable so far. Am I lucky or in for trouble any day?

Reply to
Orv

I have over 180K on my 94. I never heard of this problem before. How serious is this problem?

Reply to
tangwong