Wiper Blades

I still have the rusted original '90 wiper blade holder and have been replacing the rubber using Masda parts every year. Can you buy just the part that holds the blade and not have to shell out $80 for the whole assembly which include the full arm and blade holder? I am referring to a Mazda part and not after market.

Reply to
Gary

I am not clear about this.

IIRC, the wiper arms were $40-50 from trussvillemazda.com. I got a pair to use when mine were being chromed.

The brackets that hold the rubber itself are obviously sold separate, (if they are sold at all), but why would anyone want to buy them from Mazda?

Anyway, call trussville. They can be trusted, and they will sell you what you need at about a quarter less than you would pay at a dealer.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Anyone use the PIAA wipers?

45

Reply to
Gary

I thought I had posted this, but I must have hit "Reply Sender" instead of "Reply Group" - OOPS!

To repeat what Leon said, why would anyone want to buy Mazda wiper blades? I used the Mazda parts once and switched to after market ones because of the cost. I've found that they actually work a lot better and are half the cost.

I am partial to Bosch Micro-Edge blades (about $10 ea), though Trico's ($8 ea) work almost as well. A friend bought Pep Boys cheapie blades and even they worked as well as the Mazda parts.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

Because the Mazda blades last a long, long time. Granted, my Miata is garaged and is rarely parked in the sun for any length of time, but its Mazda baldes were new in 1997 and still function well.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Gary, Have you looked into the price of PIAA ? I have a Dealer near me, but it's 10:20 PM :-) & I don't think he will answer the phone now. :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

I am using them and like them a lot. My windsheild is pretty heavily pitted from too many miles in heavy interstate traffic. An unpleasant commute that lasted too long ;-)

I find that the PIAA blades do a better job and last longer than the standard rubber compounds. If your windshield is in good shape, I am not sure they are worth it, but for an abused windshield you may want to give them a try.

Reply to
Stephen Toth

I saw them on Moss. Very expensive. Just asking if they are some marvel worth getting. Kind of exotic design.

Reply to
Gary

I'm looking for the lowest profile blades. One reason for not being 100% sold on the very fine Bosch blades, is that my stock wiper are lower in profile than the Bosch. I'm not tall, and when I look out my window, the stock wipers stick out in view. I can see them and I would prefer an even lower profile, more stealth, hidden away into the body view. The Bosch stand up taller and would be even more visible.

How are the PIAA in view?

Also, which PIAA did you get? The Silicone or Graphite?

Reply to
Gary

My experience with the rather expensive Bosch blades: they work very well for about three months, then deteriorate rapidly, becoming useless in six. Even Anco is a better buy.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hi Gary,

I made a stop at my local "Rice Shop" :-) and they want $19.95 each for the blade assy. and $8.95 for the "refills" . That's not too bad if you "need" new units, but a little much jst to have " PIAA " parts on your car. :-)

Bruce RED '91 (Bosh works for me )

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

The view is about the same as the Bosch. I have not measured exactly, but not much difference.

I have the Silicone.

The present blades are a little over a year old, and are about ready to be replaced.

Previously, i was replacing standard (Bosch, Anco, Trico) blades 2 - 3 times a year due to the abrasion of the windshield. So they are saving me some money compared to standard due to the longer life span.

Note again, that if your windshield is in good shape with very little pitting and chips, I am not sure that the difference will be noticeable.

Reply to
Stephen Toth

AUTO BARN has great prices:

You can get the blade assembly (18" for Miata) for $$13.95 Graphite, and $18.95 for Silicone. If you don't drive in winter, the Graphite is supposed to be quitter and smoother. Also, either assembly will accept either refill, so you can have inserts for winter and the rest of the season going with Graphite.

The bottom line is not to save a few bucks in light of what is potentially the better performing blade. I have not tried the PIAA but TireRack recommends them and they seem to be used on a lot of higher end cars. In comparison to what people around here spend on exotic hardware, this is chump change, IMHO!

Reply to
Gary

Stephen, mine are pitted, being original glass. Hey, maybe that's why the blades get chewed up. Thanks for solving that one. Are you aware that you can use the Graphite inserts with the same assembly that you purchased with the Silicone inserts? That's what PIAA told me. You might want to wait until there is no more snow and ice and give the Graphite a try, it might be even better.

QUESTION: There is an adapter for installing the PIAA on a Miata. Was that straight forward or did it present any kind of problem? Also, with the adapter in place, does it push the blade forward and affect the sweep pattern, compared to the originals? Thanks!

Reply to
Gary

May try the graphite inserts when the weather turns to sun and warm. (Live in Southeast PA). At the moment I am happy with the Silicon.

Had no problem with the blades mounting on the wiper arms. The position and sweep stay the same.

Reply to
Stephen Toth

OEMs buy parts from different vendors. There was a period of time when I'd bring my 99 in for warrenty service and the dealer would automatically replace the factory wiper blades.

Reply to
chuckk