Wiper Blades: Best ?

Hello,

Is there a consensus here among all the experts re which Brand, and Type, of wipers is the best ? Live in New England; lots of snow and ice.

BTW: are the relatively new types without all the hinges (forget what they are called) better than the old style ? How about compared to the "winter blades" with the rubber boot over them ?

What does GM use as OEM blades these days on Chevy and Buick ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert11

My favorite that I've tried is the PIAA silicone, although my criteria may be different then yours. I live outside of DC and the usual failure mode of wiper blades around here is that the wiping edge will become hard, stop flipping over, and eventually disintegrate. usually at ~6mos. or so. I've actually worn a set of PIAAs out on my company car; the edge was noticeably worn from rubbing on the windshield but the blade was still as supple as if it were new. Pretty impressive. I've had a set on my rarely-used Porsche for almost 2 yrs. now and they're still good as new.

Not sure.

I find them somewhat gimmicky; I usually remove the wiper blades and hose 'em down with silicone spray in the fall (same time that I wipe the door seals down with silicone) however based on my experiences in the UP, they might provide some benefit in an area where it snows every damned day.

I don't know but I was singularly unimpressed with the ones supplied on my Impala, they were already hard at 6 mos. just like I would expect from Anco, Trico, Bosch, etc.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

But the 'prophylactic' keeps the ice from building up and lifting the wiper from the glass.

I never thought much of them until Autozone had them for half price *AND* buy one-get one! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Nate... I found that wiping the rubber with lacquer thinner cleans off the (oxidized???) rubber and then they work OK. Warren

Reply to
WW

Reply to
man of machines