Replacement of Tie Rod Boots on 87 Maxima

I am replacing the tie rod boots with OEM Nissan boots, which come with a wire tie to secure the boot to the rack. I am concerned that the wire is so thin that it will cut through the boot over time due to stress. Would a plastic zip tie be better ? There looks like there is room in the boot recess for the zip tie.

Reply to
Edge
Telstar Electronics

All the replacement boot I have seen also use a narrow hose clamp or zip tie. The Nissan wire is .053 " (1.3 mm) diameter. The wire is tightened similar to a twist tie, but it has a loop at each end where you can put a rod (or screwdriver) through it to get more torque. Yes, I could put a tube around the wire, my only concern would it would have to be strong tubing to resist cutting. This Nissan wire has been around for while, I am surprised it is still used.

Reply to
Edge
Reply to
Telstar Electronics