'01 Passat Tie rod end boots

The rubber boots on my GF's ;01 Passat wagon are torn. The dealer's answer is to replace the whole tie rod end (which of course implies a partial realignment) when all that's bad is the boot. Is there any source for just the boot?

Chuck Tribolet snipped-for-privacy@garlic.com

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

I managed to patch a punctured boot one time using silicone gasket material.

How long have they been torn? If it's more than a very short time, there's probably enough road dirt in there that you'll wear out the ball joint in there very quickly anyway. Then you'll be replacing your tires too.

Besides, a realignment ought to be relatively cheap, no?

Andrew Sullivan

Buy a new tie rod end and swap boots! But if you do that you might as well install the tie rod ends, you paid for them. And if you do that then an alignment would be good to do too!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

to replace the whole tie rod end (which of course

source for just the boot?

The outer tie rod end is a relatively cheap part and chances are you have dirt particles embedded in the joint already.

Reply to
Madesio