Sentra B body trunk leaks

A few weeks ago someone posted a message to the newsgroup about Sentra trunk leaks. I saved the message in my newsreader for reading later. After that posting an abuser started posting a lot of garbage to the newsgroup and I unsubsribed, only to lose the posted messages that I had saved.

I have a '94 Sentra XL with water in the trunk. It collects in the well for the spare tire. Any good soutions to fix this? Do I remember correctly that the problem is related to the tail lights?

BTW the weatherstripping on the trunk lid is in good shape.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mark

On 2/27/2005 9:58 AM US(ET), Mark took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Look for water stains around the taillights and wheel wells. My 93 Sentra used to leak from the joint between the top of the left rear wheel well and the fender, evidenced by water and mud stains running down the wheel well from the joint. There is thick sealant covering the joint, but it still got through somehow.

Reply to
willshak

Maybe the rear window is leaking, into the trunk, look as the previous poster stated to see if there is a water trail in the dust that collects in the trunk.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I have a 91 sentra that DID leak in the trunk- fixed it easily. step 1- verify the leak- i sprayed it heavily around the taillights with the garden hose, after the water drained away, carefully opened the trunk, and did find little rivulets of water trickling down from under the taillights from the inside.

  1. unplug the taillights
  2. take out the few nuts on each side that hold the lights in
  3. carefully pry/pull the taillights out from the outside
  4. clean up dry black sealant that is allowing the leaks as much as possible (doesn't have to be 100% removed)
  5. apply a sealant to the back of the tailight- i used clear silicone, from a hardware store, you could find the black sealant at a parts store, but silicone is cheap and works.
  6. let sealant get a little tacky (10-15 minutes) so that the seal will be tight
  7. reinstall tails, plug in and you're done. takes about an hour total ps- taillights are the most common leaky spot on the 91-94 sentras

-robbie

Reply to
Robbie Wilson