99 sentra XE starting problem

I need help on fixing a problem on my 99 sentra. I bought the car from its first and only owner and the car ran perfectly and smooth in the street. After that the car sat fro a good while like 3 weeks or so. i bought a short ram intake for the sentra and installed it with no problem. when i tried strating the car it didnt want to start i tried and tried and nothing. i held the pedal when starting and it started but when i reved it up the engine sounded like it was choking or something but once i let go of the gas it turned off. can anyone help me with this problem?

-- Message posted using

information at

EA898

Try removing the distributor cap and check that all four terminals are bright and clean. Most importantly, check the center of the rotor for a buildup of carbon from contact with the center button of the distributor cap. My 99 Sentra XE wouldn't start after sitting a week or so and it was carbon in the center of the rotor. A light scrubbing with emery cloth fixed it and it's been fine since. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Did you plug the MAF back in?

Reply to
JimV

my sentra has a problem with starting. the engine starts to shake a lot after sitting for 2 weeks or so. not only does the engine shake but it also has a leakage below the pistons. also the engine sounds like its choked. the major problem is i need the car to move within a week or so. can anyone help me try to fix this problem?

-- Message posted using

information at

EA898

on 9/17/2007 11:51 PM EA898 said the following:

Nissan service?

Reply to
willshak

One thing simple worth trying: open up the distributor cap (2-3 screws I think), and swing it away. Remove the rotor (one screw), and remove a plastic cover (2 screws) that protect the distributor timing disk. Spray a brake cleaning fluid toward this timing disk and let it dry. Put everything back. In my Sentra, the seal that isolate the distributor from the camshaft area was failing, thus over time engine oil started to migrate into the distributor and started to cover the fine slits of the distro timing disk. This causied the engine to misfire and shake. If the above method solved your problem, then order a replacement from eBay for less than $100 (new) before the old one started to act up again. The dealer wants close to $500. This problem is quite common on GA16DE engines.

-- Message posted using

information at

cmdrdata