Timing Chain Noise?

In an earlier post, Steve mentioned that timing chain noise is RPM sensitive. My car is a '96 Sentra. What RPM range? Low (curb idle) or
driving 3000 - 5000 Range? Just curious, I've been hearing a rattling noise from the engine compartment somewhere since May 03. It's only at curb idle. Once RPM's increase, it completely goes away. I've been thinking it's aluminum sheild or something along that line. Its not getting worse.
Paul
My SR20DE engine of 158,000m had a low grinding noise at tickover up to about 2000rpm when the engine was cold that went away as the engine warmed up. It never rattled though. It never changed in the 87,000m that I owned the car (Primera). If you use about 18" or so of tubing as a stethoscope you should be able to pinpoint the noise to the timing chain/tensioner area if that's the cause.

Paul Brogren wrote:

Do you hear it when the engine is decelerating as well?
--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com
no.
--
Thanks Always !!!
Paul '75 CJ5 258
Paul Brogren wrote:

Normally a loose chain will rattle on decel as well. What you are talking about sounds more like it might be a heat shield etc.
--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com

Site Timeline