transmission whining

hi! my 1993 nissan sentra with 5speed manual transmission started whining. The faster i was going the more it whined. I but the car in reverse and I went back about 20 feet and it stopped real hard. Like slamming the brakes on. Also i I had a hard time putting it in gear. I just took the transmission out . Is something wrong with the clutch or transmissions? thank you for your help. john

Reply to
boomer via CarKB.com

I am no expert nor mechanic but it sounds like you have to replace the clutch.

Good luck

boomer via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
raluxs

Reply to
boomer via CarKB.com

I had an 87 Pathfinder. When it developed a wining sound after about 60k, I replace the clutch, pressure plate, and the throw-bearing. This fixed the wining sound. I believe the main noise was from the bearing, but once everything was taken apart, it was best to change the clutch.

Reply to
JANA