240 SX finally up and running again and its cooler than ever

Got finished with installing a low miles enigne in the 240SX, and it runs cooler than it ever did, since my son owned it (total of about 3 weeks). ALso took a new radiator. Took the used engine down for timing chain replace, and also pulled the head and cleaned the combustin chamber, and pulled a rod, piston and main cap just for a look see. It was still like new inside. Installed new clutch and pressure plate etc, new seals all around, tranny included, and while I was at it opened up the tranny and gave it a look see, and changed the gear oil.

Biggest poroblem was getting the steel sleeve out of the end of the crankshaft, that adapts to the torque converter on an auto, so I could install the manual pilot bearing. ALso spent about 2 hours looking for where a lone connector hooked to. It hangs down on the side right by the starter on about a 8" pigtail. Gray in color. Everything seems to work, never did find where it went, but I am assuming it would be used if the car had an automatic tranny in it.

Found one thing out about Advance Autos brand of clutches.. They are

1/2" smaller in diameter than a stock nissan clutch. Even the lining is thinner on an Advance auto clutch. I eventually went and bought a new clutch kit at NAPA, which is identical to the Nissan in every aspect, and it was new, not rebuilt, and was only $22.00 more than Advances rebuilt kits. I have a home shop machine shop, so while I was at it , I resurfaced and trued the flywheel.

New radiator ($119.00 ) from Radiator Outlet, for a brand new, 2 core all metal tank radiator, made in USA by Modine Radiator company, delivered for the same price by Fed Ex next day delivery. Hard price to beat.

The car handles well, but still needs some brake pads on all 4 wheels, a quieter muffler and a decent set of tires and it should be in pretty decent shape.

Thanks to all for their help on my working in my first Jap car. It has been an experience.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer