Vibration noise when NOT running

I have a 1995 Nissan Pickup SE with around 114,000 miles. Within the last 6 months I've noticed a vibration /growling noise coming from the truck when it's NOT running and the ignition is off. I thought at first the noise may be coming from the emergency brake, however I've tested with the brake off and on a level surface and the noise still occurs. The noise only last few a few seconds and seems to happen at random times. I never hear it when the truck is running. Any ideas what this may be coming from? I'm baffled.

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
daveb

You can get a growling noise after a vehicle is turned off from the cooling system. Take a look at the overflow/coolant bottle just after the vehicle is shut down, If you see bubbles and noises you have a head gasket gone or starting to go. You can have a bad head gasket without overheating.

Thanks! Dave

Before I got too excited thinking it was a head gasket, replace your radiator cap and see if that solves the problem.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

It could be the antenna. Mine does this sometimes because it is broken and the motor is trying to retract it when the vehicle is shut off.

Paul

Reply to
P&L